Are You Really Wired For Home Business? How's Your Self-Esteem?
I wholeheartedly believe in doing this and employ this approach myself. However, what I have found from many years of dealing with people is that you can learn all of the marketing techniques you like but if you do not have a healthy level of self esteem, you will not be able to build an effective business.
This industry revolves around our ability to relate well to others and if you are struggling in this area you will be severely hindered. You may be able to generate lots of leads, but once those people find out where you are at, they won’t stick around anymore.
Simply put, they won’t join your team.
Do You Have Healthy Self Esteem?Our self image has a profound impact on who we are and what we get back from the world around us.
Our self image is simply a combination of all of the input that we have had from our time of birth to the present. When we were born we had very little input to equip us for the life ahead. Over time we accumulate ideas as we evaluate the world around us and the feedback we get from it.
All of this data that is put in front of us over the years combines to form our own opinions on who we are and our place in this world.
Over time these beliefs form part of our subconscious mind that help define who we are today. In reality, what you do on a daily basis is being lived out of your subconscious database. Most of the time you live your life on autopilot as you maneuver your way through the day.
The messages we internalize as we grow can either be positive or negative. If they are positive we will develop a healthy self esteem but if they are negative we will develop an unhealthy self esteem.
Think about the input that you have had through your life. Has it been positive or negative? If you have had a negative stream of input throughout your life, don’t despair because you can change your internal belief system with a little work.
Below is a set of questions that form key indicators as to where you are at in regard to your self esteem. They are simply locators and are not here to help you overcome a poor self image in any way.
If you find that you do have some negative self beliefs that are affecting your business please seek some help. It is not a difficult process to overcome negative self beliefs with a little application and persistence.
Key Indicators To A Healthy Self EsteemThis is a list of some key indicators for someone with a healthy self esteem. As you go through the list you might like to ponder each point and write out how you feel about it.
- Are you able to live in the moment, for today, and not worry about the past or the future?
- Does your past bother you and do you have fear about the future?
- Is what you are doing in your life right now consistent with what you want and where you want to go?
- Are you open to new opinions and ideas?
- Are you open to gaining new knowledge or is this type of thing threatening to you?
- Are you committed to learning more, discovering more & advancing more or do you live internally with a sense of retreat?
- Are you aware of what you believe and does involuntary prejudice take over and cause you to make irrational decisions?
- Are you in control of your emotions or do you find yourself getting out of control internally when confronted with situations, ideas or opinions that are contrary to what you believe?
- Are you on your own side or do you beat yourself up internally?
- Are you in control of your feelings or do you deny your feelings?
- Are you able to separate a person from their actions?
- Can you look beyond what someone else does to see where they are at or are you offended by their actions?
- Are you responsible for your choices & actions or do you blame other?
- Can you control yourself in the company of others or are you moved to behave differently than what you normally would do?
- Do you change to suit the other person or group or are you secure to be who you are?
- Do you feel responsible for controlling your own time or do other people control what you do and when?
- Are you responsible for your own happiness or is your happiness dictated by outside forces?
- Do you live by your own values or the values of others?
- Does your self esteem come from within you or do you need constant reassurance from those around you?
- Do you think for yourself or do you need others to help you make choices?
- Are you willing to confront life or does life cause you to retreat?
- Do you live each day with purpose living to fulfill your goals?Can you identify the necessary steps to achieve your goals?
- Are you able to monitor your behavior to ensure that it is congruent with your goals?
- Do you take responsibility for your own behavior or does someone else “make you do it”
- Are you able to confess you did wrong and apologize?
- Are you able to make things right if you do wrong?
So there you go, a set of questions to act as locators. As mentioned you could become absolutely brilliant at lead generation and flop completely when it comes to being able to relate and interact with the people you come in contact with.
If after reading over these questions you find yourself lacking in self esteem then at least you will know where you stand. It should give you an indication of whether you may need some assistance in this area and whether you would like to continue or give the home business industry a big miss.
As a word of encouragement, I have heard of some tremendous stories of people with low self esteem go on in this industry and achieve phenomenal results. It can be done and it is being done every day.
There is no reason why you cannot do the same. But it will never happen for you if you can’t locate where you are at and admit that you may need some help if you are in that category. If you find that you do have low self esteem, admit it, get some help and move on in life.
Written By Guest Author: Greg Martin