Sunday, June 3, 2012

Raising my daughter....


Is not easy.  Why didn't anyone tell me this was such a huge job!?

I have home-schooled my daughter and now she's in "regular" school and I am freaking out!

Although my mother and step-father along with my grand-parents never really sat down and told me how much work they were really putting into raising me, I'm glad that they took the time to communicate with me on a daily basis and answer all of my crazy questions.

I remember being in elementary school, I think about the 3rd or 4th grade and loving history class.  I just found it interesting to learn about different people, different events, different places and the different ways of living during different periods of time.

I have always been a great debater and my grand-father knew that.  He purposely said something about whatever type of people I was studying in history and I was going on and on stating facts about how the people lived and where they were from and what was going on during that period of time.

I never will forget the smiles on the faces of everyone in the room as I proudly displayed my knowledge of the subject.

I learned early the importance of communication and I have always felt safe and free to express myself.  I never felt unimportant growing up and I thank God for that.  As my daughter is transitioning into a young lady I want to keep the flood gates of communication open between her and I.  I think I'm doing a pretty good job at that.

My daughter has no fear in telling me how she is feeling and what she is thinking.  Which in turn gives me the leeway to guide her through different situations and to create a learning experience out of any mistake she may make along her life's journey.

I read an awesome article today entitled, Two Important Ways to Empower Your Daughter.  It was so refreshing to read that there are other people that believe in important communication when it comes to raising children.

The two important ways are to talk and listen by the way...  I just thought I should share that.  But the article is much more detailed and down-to-earth informative.  I would encourage you to read it.  Especially if you are raising a young daughter like I am!

Here's an excerpt:

"Talk and listen to her!!!
Girls are naturally curious. If you noticed, every little girl as young as three years old tries to stick her nose on everything. She wants to know the answers to the 5Ws and H (who, what, where, when, why and how). Every little girl is an observer and yes a reporter! Her young and curious mind wants to learn.

You are her first teacher. Do not dismiss her questions and tell her to watch TV because you are busy. You need to pause for a minute, listen to her question, encourage her to think about the answer and if necessary answer  and explain it until she understands your message.

Girls who acquire first-hand knowledge and are encouraged to think by themselves from supportive parents will not be easily influenced by negative media or pressured by her peers. If something is bothering her, she will first run to you and ask for your guidance and advice."

Source: 

http://empowering-girls.blogspot.com/2011/03/two-important-ways-to-empower-your-girl.html


Everyday is different.  I'm just rolling with the punches and pushing back.  If that makes any sense.  :))

Mo'Love~~

P.S.  I found some awesome parenting quotes and pics too...  Check 'em out :))
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Motherhood & Parenting




A baby is born with a need to be loved - and never outgrows it.
~Frank Howard Clark.

Each day of our lives we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.
~Charles R. Swindoll

Education, like neurosis, begins at home.
~Milton Sapirstein

Girls are the future mothers of our society, and it is important that we focus on their well-being.
Miriam Makeba

~It is a sad commentary of our times when our young must seek advice and counsel from "Dear Abby" instead of going to Mom and Dad.
~Abigail Van Buren.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT! :)

How To Activate Your Follow Button On FACEBOOK in 2022!

If you are using Facebook for business then you definitely want to have your Follow Button activated.  It's an easy way for others to f...