Saturday, February 25, 2012

Just saying NO to "Niche Blogging"


I have officially decided to go against the grain and embrace "no niche" blogging.  Call me a rebel and I'll tell you that I am free from being boxed in and happily accept the title!  :)

I have way too many interests and talents to choose one thing.  And yes, I could make a blog for each one of my "interests", but I am a true blogger and a passionate person and I just can't stretch myself out that far.

Feeling like I was all alone in my rebellion against the "niche", I decided to google, "you don't need a niche" and I ran across this awesome blog post by Nicholas Scalice.  The title of his blog post was just what I googled, "You Don't Need A Niche".  I am so glad I'm not alone in the "No Niche" movement!

Nicholas shared some great information about some of our historical figures that were not confined to a niche.  Here's an excerpt from his blog post:

"While it is true that American culture is driven heavily on taking pride in work and even going so far as to define oneself by work, tBenjamin Franklinhere seems to be something lacking if all we were meant to do with our lives was focus on just one major task. Maybe you love accounting or maybe you’re a great sculptor or maybe you can write like a champ, but does this mean that the only value you bring to the professional world is reliant upon your proficiency in this area?
Looking back in history, we can cite numerous examples of individuals with a multitude of interests. We call these people “polymaths” which simply means “a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas.” To name a few examples:
  • Aristotle took interest in physics, metaphysics, poetry, theater, music, logic, rhetoric, politics, government, ethics, biology and zoology.
  • Leonardo da Vinci was a painter, sculptor, engineer, astronomer, anatomist, biologist, geologist, physicist, architect, philosopher and humanist.
  • Benjamin Franklin was known as an author, political theorist, politician, printer, scientist, inventor, civic activist and diplomat.
  • Thomas Jefferson was not only a founding father and president of the United States, but also a mathematician, surveyor, architect, paleontologist, prosodist (what the heck is that?), lawyer, philosopher, farmer, fiddler and inventor.
  • Adam Smith (author of The Wealth of Nations, one of the first books on economic theory) in addition to being a economist, was also a noted jurist, psychologist, historian, theologian and literary critic.
  • Aldous Huxley (author of Brave New World) was a novelist, poet, travel writer, philosopher, occultist, botanist, literary critic, intellectual historian and a screenwriter for television and film."
So I guess I am a "polymath" and loving it!  :)  I can't tell you how free I feel right now.

My question to bloggers especially those that consider themselves to be niche bloggers is, "Do you ever fell boxed in when deciding what to blog about?  And do you ever want to write about something that is totally different than your chosen niche?"

Please leave me a comment.  I would love to know your thoughts.  

As for me I will be writing "niche freely" from now on!  :)  

Always wishing you success in Love and Life  ....and Many, Many Blessings~

Monique Bradford :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT! :)

How To Activate Your Follow Button On FACEBOOK in 2022!

If you are using Facebook for business then you definitely want to have your Follow Button activated.  It's an easy way for others to f...